Braille Department Assistant
Last updated October 21, 2015
Are you looking for a challenge away from home that will give blind people the self-sufficiency and independence that comes from being able to read one's own school books, library books or medical forms? If so, this is the perfect commitment for you.
Fill out request forms, organize requests, proofread, burst, bind, and mail braille books, duplication and clerical duties. Help our Braille Department run efficiently.
- Adult (18 + Years).
- Available Weekdays.
- Able to come to our office, which is on major bus lines and is accessible for people with disabilities.
- Should have general knowledge of office procedures and experience with office machines.
- A high school diploma or equivalent.
- This is an entry level position, but you will need to have some knowledge of braille, and/or a willingness and aptitude to learn.
- Basic computer skills - experience with Windows and knowledge of basic file management.
- Experience with Microsoft Word, Access Databases and Excel preferred.
- Neat handwriting.
- Strong proofreading skills.
- Good organizational skills.
- Good communication, phone and customer service skills.
- Good clerical skills.
- Long-term commitment (at least 12 months).
This is an ongoing and long-term commitment. We ask a minimum of 4 to 5 hours per week on either Tuesday, Wednesday and/or Thursday, sometime between the hours of 9am to 4pm.
Training will be provided.
At our office in the Central Library Building in downtown Milwaukee.
For more information about our Volunteer Opportunities, please contact:
Matt or Janet: 414-286-3039 or firstname.lastname@example.org